We’ve all heard of Betty Boop. But how many of you knew that she was based off of a BLACK woman.
Yes Betty Boop was based off of Ms.Esther Jones known by her stage name “Baby Esther”. She was an African-American singer and entertainer of the 1920’s. Her singing trademark was “Boop oop da doop” hence the name Betty Boop! She performed regularly at the cotton club in Harlem,New York.
I’m Daria Hlazatova. I live in Ukraine and have a particular passion for drawing and making handmade collages. I live in a hilly city near Carpathian mountains, but the view from my window is rather dull.
As a child I dreamt to become an oceanologist, but I have only one marine diver and a dozen of artists in my family so my art genes won over.
I find inspiration in travelling, music, fairy-tales, theatre and animals. So my art is mostly about all these things put together with a wee bit of nonsense.
My drawings and collages have been a part of several exhibitions, art projects and magazines in the USA, the UK, Spain and Ukraine.Hlazatova’s surreal machinations span imagination from queens and kings to pop culture references. She has built her own visual language and landscape for her visions to be set in space, rivers and the mountains. Her work can be found on Society 6 and Prisma Collective Txt
25 Lives by tongari
Achingly lovely. Delicately sublime. ♥
Tell me about sex. How many times did you die before your body was buried? Are orgasms just practice for the main event?
Tura Satana appreciation post. here’s what u need to know:
- born in 1938 and died in 2011
- her parents were a silent movie actor and a circus performer
- she was gang-raped by five men when she was ten. they were never prosecuted and it was rumoured that the judge was paid off.
- this prompted her to train in various martial arts (such as aikido and karate)
- over the next 15 years, she hunted down each of her rapists and exacted revenge against them. they never even knew who she was until she told them
- at the same time, she formed an all-woman gang called “the angeles”
- "we had leather motorcycle jackets, jeans and boots and we kicked butt."
- moved to los angeles when she was 15 and supported herself
- dated elvis presley and turned down a marriage proposal from him
- her most famous film role was in 1965, as varla, a “very aggressive and sexual female character”, in faster, pussycat! kill! kill! (a film that was “an ode to female violence”)
- Tura was responsible for her own costume, makeup, use of martial arts, and much of her dialouge. she also performed all her own stunts and fight scenes
- was known for not taking shit from anyone. russ meyer, the director for faster, pussycat! kill!, said of her “[tura was] extremely capable. she knew how to handle herself. don’t fuck with her! and if you have to fuck her, do it well! she might turn on you!”
All of my fear reduces into anger. All of my anger reduces into sadness. All of my sadness reduces into feeling hurt. All of my hurt reduces into a nauseating fear of being vulnerable. Or piercing pains of when I wasn’t. Repeat. I learned one day that spitting nails only leads to broken teeth. I want to love and love and love. Hold a pose for too long and you should want to collapse.